Time is like water





*click on images to enlarge

I was suppose to be doing my coursework this morning since it is due in on Friday, but I have almost finished it , so I decided to indulge in some retail therapy. The first picture is of what I wore, which was a vintage Levi’s shirt that has intentional holes in the elbows, which have proceeded to grow; and a vintage YSL variation t-shirt that actually belongs to my sister, who has had the t-shirt since she was a child.

I also went to Zara in which I purchased the asymmetric dress with the wolf print and the bleach style crop top. I was contemplating posting the image of the crop top, since the image doesn’t really do it any justice. It came in two colours the other colour was much darker than this one, but this was the one I was drawn to first. I was quite surprised how I was repulsed at the really flowery, summer garments in Zara and began to feel comfortable when I saw the darker clothes which everyone else seemed to be avoiding, but I’ve got to say Zara are selling really good summer maxi dresses.

The plaid shirt I bought from a charity shop where I normally buy lots of unnecessary clothes from. I have to say this is the first mens' plaid shirt I own, so I'm not one of those girls' who owns five in different colours, I just really liked the colours on this shirt.

I went to two different Oxfam stores; the first one was a recently turned shop into Oxfam conveniently next to a very well known music store called Selectadisc that went under. The Oxfam store did sell quite a lot of vinyl discs and cds but it was dominate in books; I ended up purchasing a book entitled The Guardian: Stylebook and it is about how people get mixed up with certain words and how to pronounce them correctly. The second Oxfam store pictured above was like a vintage clothing store and it had no books or music related items for sale, and I think it was a pre-planned wise move to have one store sell clothes and the other books and music.   

The Q music magazine I purchased was from the first Oxfam store I went to. Jarvis Cocker was my main reason for the purchase. I’ve always liked the way in which he talks about his music and his life in interviews; he portrays himself in a mundane manner, yet I feel there is something extraordinary about his persona that makes me feel almost equal to his level but with an unreachable exciting inch of a difference. When I got on the tram I began to read the full five page interview conducted in 1996 by Phil Sutcliffe.

Jarvis Cocker spoke about Pulp's hit single Common People and said that the “line in Common People, 'You will never understand how it feels to live your life with no meaning or control'” is the most passionate part of the song. Jarvis also spoke about class, which is something that persistently surrounds his political world, he said, he didn’t believe in the class system at all while he was in Sheffield, until he moved to London in which he just “couldn’t deny the fact that it existed.” My favourite quote from the entire interview was when Sutcliffe asks Cocker about how he writes all the lyrics and hinting whether he gets paid more in the band and Jarvis responds with; “Al Pacino has got absolute power and he’s killed all his friends.  Absolute power manifests itself in being absolutely alone, whereas my drive has always been to be more sociable than I am. I was quite shy and reserved as a kid. I know far too much about myself. I’d rather get to know somebody else.”

No comments: