Mug Shots


I was stunned when my eyes stumbled across these eerie looking images of Kate Moss and Pete Doherty in mug shots resembling the moors murderers, Myra Hindley and Ian Brady by artist Russell Young. The work is meant as an observation on the self-destructive hedonism of some of Britain's biggest celebrities, both Moss and Doherty, who have been photographed taking cocaine, are apparently the perfect embodiment of that. Well, now the couple aren't together so they can't really be referenced to Hindley and Brady.

Update: "The image was, in fact, created as an observation of the UK's tabloid newspapers demonisation of celebrities.
The image has, in some instances been misinterpreted as an attack on Moss and Doherty but it was an attack on how some people wish to portray them in an attempt to sell papers." According to the amazing creator of the piece, Beaubodr, who I can't believe has been on my blog! Sorry about not sourcing, I didn't know who the work belonged to.

1 comment:

beaubodor said...

You mention Russell means it to be an "observation on the self-destructive hedonism of some of Britain's biggest celebrities"

The image was, in fact, created as an observation of the UK's tabloid newspapers demonisation of celebrities.
The image has, in some instances been misinterpreted as an attack on Moss and Doherty but it was an attack on how some people wish to portray them in an attempt to sell papers.

I appreciate Russel's interpretation may well be as valid.

However, just to clarify things, I created the image and Russell asked me if he could use it to create his prints.

In fact, the image you have used on your blog is my original photoshop which, ironically, a tabloid newspaper took from my blog!
(btw - you're welcome to use it.)
You can see Russell's prints of it on his website.
Cheers